Adventures in Needlelace

First off, I have now finished the central bits of The First Sip, and I think it's looking rather lovely:


Next up is the needlelace border, which I thought I'd better take a few practice attempts at... and I was right.

Here are my 4 attempts at the needlelace. Not so lovely.


First up using nice big base stitches so I can see what I'm doing, and then three different scale attempts to get the shaping right.
The second one is getting there. The third gave me the right width of the top ground stitches, but the height is all out. So you need to make the height different to the width. The 4th attempt was the best, although still not quite perfect.
I think the height is actually slightly too small, so I'm going to do a final trial before putting the ground stitches into the real thing. Also not sure how it will adapt to the curved shapes, but it's all a learning experience.

Also, the work is pretty difficult to do as I don't have a direct light or a magnifier. I think to preserve my sight and make it lovely I'll need to invest in a good lamp ad some magnifying glasses before going much further.

Which means I might pick up a new project in the meantime, just debating what to do...

Comments