Forget Me Nots, Leaves and Stems

I've not posted in a little while as I've been busy of late trying to arrange life stuff, but I have still been setting aside plenty of time for stitching up my Hazel Blomkamp Kit.

Here's the full pattern so far:
Overall Progress
There are a couple of creases in the top layer of fabric, which I'm hoping are down to me putting into the large hoop to photograph it in a hurry rather than the fabric having rucked up through inconsitent tension.

So what have I been working on? First I did the bunch of forget-me-nots at the top of the picture. Here's a closeup

The flowers are satin stitch centered with beading, with heavy chain stitch edged in stem stitch for the stems. Next up the center of the leaves, which are layered french knots - using 3 strands of different shades and then interspersed with beads. Finally the small leaves are fly stitch with straight stitch in between the arms using the shiny nylon thread. It doesn't show up well in the picture, but these leaves have a lovely sheen.

Following that I started working on the three big leaves in the piece. below is the close up of the largest, and they're all worked the same way.


You start the leaves with a shaded long and short stitch in the body of the leaf, before putting simple lattice stitch over the top. Now it says simple, but trying to set up perfectly parallel and perpendicular lines by eye over an irregular shape is a little tricky. This leaf was the last I did and definitely has the neatest lattice.
The outline on the bottom of the leaf is the same whipped back stitch used throughout the design. and the top of the leaf and the vein are outlined in heavy chain stitch, edged with stem stitch and then beaded in the middle.

Finally I've done the main stems, which you can see in the leaf photo above. This is a simple chain stitch and the adjacent chain stitches are whipped together to create contrast and texture, outlined again on the inside with stem stitch.

Now that the stems are in the design has started to pull together as a whole rather than individual elements and is starting to look very lovely.

Just 2 forget-me-not bunches to do before I get on to the big task of the needle-lace border. I want this to look super sharp, so will do a  few practice runs on a square base.

Comments